Upgrading Dovecot v2.1 to v2.2
v2.2 has a couple of changes to settings since v2.1:
- doveadm_proxy_port setting renamed to doveadm_port (but the old exists still as an alias)
- imapc_ssl_ca_dir and pop3c_ssl_ca_dir settings replaced by a common ssl_client_ca_dir
There are also some changes you should be aware of:
fts-solr no longer does "hard commits" to the Solr index for performance reasons. You must do this manually once in a while.
When creating home directories, the permissions are copied from the parent directory if it has setgid-bit set. For full details, see SharedMailboxes/Permissions.
- "doveadm auth" command was renamed to "doveadm auth test"
- IMAP: ID command now advertises server name as Dovecot by default. It was already trivial to guess this from command replies.
- LDA/LMTP: If saving a mail brings user from under quota to over quota, allow it based on quota_grace setting (default: 10% above quota limit).
- pop3_lock_session=yes now uses a POP3-only dovecot-pop3-session.lock file instead of actually locking the mailbox (and causing IMAP/LDA/LMTP to wait for the POP3 session to close).
- mail_shared_explicit_inbox setting's default switched to "no".
- dsync isn't compatible with v2.1 protocol. (The new protocol will be compatible with future Dovecot versions.)
autocreate plugin is being deprecated and it will log warnings. Convert the configuration to MailboxSettings instead.
Downgrading can be done fully safely to v2.1.16.
- v2.1.16 adds support for "attribute changes", which are used by URLAUTH command and dsync with ACLs and/or Sieve scripts. If none of these features are used, you can downgrade safely to v2.1.11.
The error message for these attribute changes is: Log synchronization error at seq=..,offset=.. for .../dbox-Mails/dovecot.index: Unknown transaction record type 0x0
v2.1.11 adds support for cache file changes. Older versions may think that the dovecot.index.cache files are corrupted and complain about "Invalid magic in hole header".