converted to 1.6 markup
← Revision 30 as of 2019-09-11 14:02:20
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
|= Password database extra fields =
The primary purpose of a password database lookup is to return the password for a given user. It may however also return other fields which are treated specially:
* [[PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields/User|user]]: Change the username (eg. lowercase it).
* [[PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields/AllowNets|allow_nets]]: Allow user to log in from only specified IPs.
* [[PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields/Proxy|proxy and proxy_maybe]]: Proxy the connection to another IMAP/POP3 server.
* [[PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields/Host|host]]: Send login referral to client.
* [[PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields/NoLogin|nologin]]: User isn't actually allowed to log in even if the password matches, with optionally a different reason given as the authentication failure message.
* [[PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields/NoDelay|nodelay]]: Don't delay reply to client in case of an authentication failure.
* nopassword: v1.1+: If you want to allow all passwords, use an empty password and this field.
How to return these extra fields depends on the password database you use. See the [[PasswordDatabase|password database]] pages on how to do it. Some passdbs however don't support returning them at all, such as [[PasswordDatabase/PAM|PAM]].
The password database may also return fields prefixed with `userdb_`. These fields are only saved and used later as if they came from the [[UserDatabase|user database]]'s extra fields. Typically this is done only when using [[UserDatabase/Prefetch|prefetch userdb]].
Note that boolean fields are true always if the field exists. So `nodelay`, `nodelay=yes`, `nodelay=no` and `nodelay=0` all mean that the nodelay field is true. With SQL the field is considered to be non-existent if its value is NULL.
== Examples ==
=== SQL ===
password_query = SELECT userid as user, password, 'Y' as proxy, host \
FROM users WHERE userid = '%u'
# NOTE: Dovecot doesn't really support line splitting with '\' currently
=== LDAP ===
=== passwd-file ===
|Moved to https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/authentication/password_database_extra_fields/|